What am I shopping for?

So, if you haven't already noticed, Christmas is only 61 days away. That's only 9 weeks of shopping time left. If you're anything like me, Christmas shopping usually sounds fun until I start having to navigate the crowded parking lots and listen to "Last Christmas I gave you my heart...." being pumped through the sound system in every store at the mall, apparently on repeat. (Side note: Just because a song has the word "Christmas" in it does not, in fact, make it a Christmas song. That song is about a break-up, let's be honest.) Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of the ways we celebrate Christmas here in the states. I, for one, start listening to Christmas music in early November. I'm a huge fan of the trees decorated with kindergarten artwork and hand-painted ornaments made in elementary school. I love the lights, the parties, the family time, the presents, and the required viewing of Christmas classics like "White Christmas," "Elf," and "A Christmas Story."

However, if all Christmas is to you is shopping and presents and movies and decorations, you're missing the point. Yes, family time and traditions are important, but Christmas is, when you get down to it, about GOD'S LOVE FOR US! It's about God loving us so much that He provided a way for us to be with Him in eternity, despite our own sinfulness and depravity. Christmas is the celebration of Jesus's birth. Jesus was born to die for us, for you and for me. He was born of a virgin, lived a perfect, sinless life, died a horrible, undeserved death, and then overcame death and rose again, giving us victory over sin and death and the right to be adopted into God's family. This is not something we can earn or accomplish on our own. It's the FREE gift of God, and it's for our good. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure I can't find anything close to this on a clearance rack or a mall kiosk. 

Having said all that, I'm not suggesting that we all stop shopping, giving gifts and participating in all those Christmas traditions which we know and love. I'm just suggesting we seriously consider the purpose behind the things we choose to do, which is why I'm super excited to share with you all about an event that I will be participating in next weekend. Sunday, November 4th, is Orphan Sunday, and I will be participating in "For Unto Us A Child Is Born..." a special Christmas shopping event with a purpose! I'll be selling my scarves (proceeds go to my mission trip fundraising), and several other people will be selling a variety of items to benefit missions, ministries and adoptions. Here are all the details: 



If you're in the Birmingham area I would like to encourage you to check this out. Take this opportunity to avoid the mall and shop with a purpose. Not only is it a chance to shop for great gifts,   it's a chance to shop for orphans, widows, missionaries, and victims of human trafficking. It's an opportunity to share the love of Christ both here and around the world. If you're not in the Birmingham area, I challenge you to look for opportunities like this in your area. With all the festivities and stresses that come along with "the most wonderful time of the year," I think it's time we stop and ask ourselves, "What am I shopping for?"



  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

1 Response to "What am I shopping for? "

  1. Kelley says:
    October 29, 2012 at 4:28 PM

    Hi there....I saw your scarves on Ashley Hill's blog. I am a fellow adoptive mom (with the same agency as the Hills). I love your scarves. Do you have pictures of the ones that you have available that you could email me? (kelleywms@hotmail.com) How much are they? (I am not in your local area so they would need to be shipped to TN).

Post a Comment